Be Careful of Potential Carbon Monoxide Poisoning with all the Snow!

Posted by:

Clear exhaust vents!

WM Winter North Shore - HamiltonMake sure to clear the exhaust vents for your furnaces, hot water heaters, chimneys and cars! With all the snow building up and the winds causing drifts the potential to have the vents covered up with snow and causing carbon monoxide to back up into your living spaces and cars, causing a life threatening situation, can’t be stressed enough. Many people already know this, but it is something that is easy to forget to think about! The reason I am posting this is because I was reminded. I checked the vents and thought to myself. “How could I have not thought to do that?!”

  • Check the vents everywhere, including where you work.
  • Make sure that your carbon monoxide detectors are working and that they have a fresh battery in them.
  • Don’t sit in the car or let anyone else sit in the car while plowing and shoveling. It’s very easy for the snow to block the car exhaust. This can happen with very little snow accumulation.
  • Don’t forget the chimneys.They can get blocked as well.
  • Check vents, exhausts and chimneys more than once. It may be fine now, but not later.

It has been the law since 2006 in Massachusetts that most homes require a carbon monoxide detectors. Many homes today have directly vented heaters. Are your vents high enough? Here are some safety tips from Travelers Insurance. Learn about carbon monoxide poisoning from the CDC and the Mayo Clinic.

And please remind your family, friends and neighbors! Stay safe! John & Cindy

0
  Related Posts

Add a Comment